The Freedoom project aims to create a complete free content game based on the Doom engine.
Combined with the engine, Freedoom is also compatible with game modifications ("mods") made for the original Doom games, made by Doom fans and artists over the decades.
For more information, see the What is Freedoom? page.
Solving a few more issues found in the previous release, this point release is more dry than the last one, but we hope that it just refines the game to make it better than before.
- Missing multiplayer starts have been added to several levels. No map should be lacking anymore.
- A few mapping errors were repaired by changing sector heights. Speedrunners can better appreciate smooth flow through the levels.
- Easy and normal difficulty levels have been tweaked.
- Par times for Phase 1 have been added.
- Cleaned up title screen using the Freedoom font for Phase 1 and Phase 2 on screen.
- 1% armor bonus pickups are recolored from red to green. They were too easily confused for health pickups.
- New TNT: Evilution-compatible textures.
- New pain bringer and pain lord sprites, replacing old concept art-derived ones.
- A few map errors are fixed, including misaligned textures, leftover Boom specials, and it should no longer be possible to get stuck between a rock and a tree in Phase 1 C1M1.
- Brand new Phase 1 C3M1, replacing an old Doom-inspired level.
- Widescreen statusbar for ZDoom was removed. This created incompatibility with some mods, and mod compatibility is prefered over visual enhancements.
- Fixed intermission text after using the secret exit in Phase 2 MAP31, where obituary texts were incorrectly displayed instead.
- More new music tracks, providing better vanilla compatibility.
- Lots of new music.
- New levels, including C1M1 kicking off Phase 1.
- Aquatex: over 200 new textures for mappers to use.
- New intermission screens.
- Some new weapon sprites: new pistol, new pickups.
- New medkit and armor pickup sprites.
- New project logo. :D
- Brand new status bar.
- New sprites for the serpent and orb monster.
- New HUD graphics for the single- and double-barrel shotguns, missile launcher, and SKAG.
- New pain sounds for many monsters and the player.
- New maps in Phase 1 and Phase 2.